Key Takeaways –
- There comes a time when roof replacement becomes necessary.
- Despite plans for roof restoration, you intend to opt for a complete overhaul.
- Various surprises await if you decide to complete the overhaul with inadequate planning.
- Unsuspecting homeowners usually don’t have the fiscal space in their roof replacement budget to deal with these surprises.
- A professional roofing service can help mitigate the risks of unexpected roofing costs.
- Professional services make roof restoration and replacement easier.
It’s no secret that roof replacements are expensive. But many homeowners may not know that many hidden costs and surprises can impact the final budget. From inspection fees to wiring and plumbing repairs, here are ordinary, unexpected expenses you may encounter during your roof replacement project. So, before pricing out replacements, be sure to factor in these potential costs!
What Usually Entails a Roof Replacement Budget
Here’s a list of factors influencing the first draft of our roof replacement budget.
- The first factor is the size of your roof. This one is self-explanatory; the more extensive the roof, the more expensive it will be to replace. Standard-size homeowners are expected to pay around $5,000 – $10,000 for roof replacement. But your costs could quickly skyrocket to $20,000 or more if you have a large home or multiple stories.
- The next factor is the material of your current roof. Some materials are costlier than others, so if you’re planning on switching from, say, asphalt shingles to slate tiles, be prepared to see a significant jump in price. In general, synthetic materials like asphalt or rubber will be the most affordable options, while natural materials like wood or slate lie at the high end of the spectrum.
- The third factor is your roof’s current condition. If your roof’s in good condition and only needs minor repairs, that will be a lot less expensive than starting from scratch with a completely new roof. On the other hand, if your roof is in bad shape and needs extensive work, that will add quite a bit to the bill.
- The fourth factor is labor costs. These can vary depending on where you live and whom you hire, but generally, professional roofing services will charge anywhere from $50 – $100 per hour of work. So, if it takes them 10 hours to replace your roof, that’s an additional $500 – $1,000 added to the cost of materials.
- The final factor is permits and fees. Most cities and towns require permits for any construction work on a property, and replacing your roof is no exception. The permits’ cost varies depending on where you live, so make sure to factor that into your budget!
Surprises That Can Impact Your Roof Replacement Budget
Here are four surprises that can impact your roof replacement budget.
Rotten plywood is a familiar surprise that awaits roofers when they tear old shingles. Extensive damage caused by leaks damages the roof’s wooden components, such as the rafters. Add some fiscal space for the unexpected plywood surprise during roof replacement.
Improper roof design leaves unsuspecting homeowners with water traps that bump up the roof replacement cost. These traps result from unchecked leaks and improper roof design, which enables water accumulation in one area. The roofing contractor must address this issue during replacement to ensure the new installation stands steady.
Mold and Pest Growth
Mold and pests love nothing more than a damp, dark space like a roof. If you have mold or pest growth on your existing roof, you’ll need to remove them before installing new shingles. This process can be both time-consuming and expensive, so it’s something you’ll want to factor into your budget.
Meeting Local Codes
Finally, you’ll also want to consider the cost of meeting local building codes when budgeting for your roof replacement. Depending on where you live, there may be specific requirements for the type of shingles you can use or the slope of your roof. Failure to meet these requirements can result in hefty fines, so it’s something you’ll want to factor into your budget. Often homeowners remember the codes after contractors complete major installation. The resulting replacement overhaul increases the replacement budget, sometimes beyond your range.
Professional Roofing Services: Avoiding Potential Roadblocks
If the reports of hefty fines and increasing budget pumps sound scary, remember you can avoid these unwanted surprises by getting a professional roofing service on board. Here’s how the pros ensure no roadblocks hinder the roof replacement journey.
1. Inspecting the Roof Beforehand
One of the most important things a professional roofing service can do is carry out a detailed inspection of your roof before beginning any work. This inspection will help identify any potential problems that could delay or prevent the replacement from happening. For example, the team will address any structural issues with the roof, such as rotting wood or damaged shingles, before beginning replacement.
2. Carefully Crafting a Budget
Professional roofing services also avoid potential roadblocks by carefully crafting a well-negotiated and final budget plan for the project. This budget will consider the cost of materials, labor, and other associated costs. By having a clear understanding of the budget upfront, there will be no surprises down the line that could cause delays or other problems.
3. Addressing Any Concerns
Suppose there are any concerns about the project, such as whether or not your insurance will cover the replacement. In that case, professional roofing services can help address these concerns. They will provide you with information and resources that can help put your mind at ease and allow you to make an informed decision about proceeding with the project.
Preparing for the potential roadblocks during your roof replacement can help ensure a seamless process and avoid unwanted surprises that could impact your budget. At Lone Star Homes Roofing Systems, we are committed to helping our customers every step of the way – from beginning to end. Please request a free estimate today and let us help you care for your roofing needs in El Paso, TX!